-->

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Mobile Internet Plans

I have been thinking about this for quite awhile. My plan in the RV is to use our cell phone hot-spot capability to provide internet for our chromebooks, my laptop, our table, and any streaming devices (such as a chromecast, or a fireTV stick) when we are at camp spots without wifi. I have been thinking about what type of plan we would need.

Earlier this month, I disconnected our cable modem (using charter) for a few days and ran a hot-spot on our tablet to try to determine our "normal" data usage when we don't have wi-fi at home. It appeared that we use about 1GB per day.

Since AT&T announced a special pricing this month for half-priced large data plans, I thought I would perhaps take advantage of that special offer in preparation for the full-time RV life. The catch is, you need to lock that in this month. So, I upgraded our plan to a 40GB (a bit over 1GB/day) plan from a 10GB plan at an additional cost of about $40/month from our current plan. I am also cancelling our charter cable internet (which costs $55/month). So, I will be saving $15/month during these winter months prior to the start of our RV adventure - and we are set up with a data plan which I think will be sufficient for a mobile lifestyle. We will have to be a lot more careful with our data usage, since overages are very expensive. I don't think we will be doing much video streaming while using our cell phone data connection, since that will run through a data plan very quickly.

It will be interesting to see how this works out. Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment