-->

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Habitat for Humanity Build #15: Las Cruces, New Mexico


Lessons learned from the talented Habitat crew!

As we returned to Las Cruces, New Mexico to participate in another Habitat for Humanity build, I was once again so impressed by the knowledge and skill of the local volunteers and my fellow Care-a-Vanners. This mighty team of volunteers built and raised walls under the guidance of our skillful and ever-patient construction supervisor, Meghan.



Three years ago when Doug and I participated in another Habitat build in Las Cruces, we met Meghan who was also a care-a-vanner. Her desire to ''jump right in'' and learn all that there is to know about building a house really impressed me. And so, it was of no surprise for me to see her shine in her new position as the construction site supervisor. Over the next seven months, she will guide numerous volunteers and future homeowners in the construction of five new houses for the Mesilla Valley Habitat for Humanity.



When we arrived, House #1 consisted just of exterior walls on a concrete slab. House #2 was just a concrete slab, and Houses 3, 4, and 5 were still awaiting their foundation and stone ''fence''. Seeing the smile on Doug's face, I knew that learning to frame was in my future. I am grateful for the many lessons that were going to come my way and for all the folks who taught this old dog many new tricks.


Smile! You learned a new skill today!


This lesson was taught to me by future homeowner Stacie, who shared a big smile as she learned to use the chop saw for the first time.


If you keep your eye on the nail, chances are good that you will hit it on the head!



Taught (and retaught) by my patient husband. He and I were both impressed that this lesson also may have helped me with my pickleball-whacking skills which resulted in a rare win against Joanne and Gary (or it was just my lucky day).


A plumb wall is a perfect wall!


And a perfect wall leads to a happy construction supervisor who won't have to figure out how to straighten it later on. And believe me, Meghan would figure out how ... she is that good!


Measure twice; cut once
or
Three heads are better than one



It is wonderful how the teams of local volunteers, future homeowners, and the care-a-vanners worked together over the two weeks to create the exterior and interior walls on the first two homes.

There is power in numbers



These seven powerful women worked together to help ''raise the roof'' as we hauled and handed up the trusses for house #1. What we lacked in height, we made up in sheer determination! After we were through, house #1 really started to look like a home.



But one of the greatest lessons came from Construction Supervisor Meghan's dog, Abby ...



Be Faithful!


Abby showed up every day with her owner to encourage all the hard working, skillful, and generous volunteers who are helping to build ''forever homes'' for her canine companions and their deserving families ...


for Katie and Roberto
and their three children,

for Stacie and her daughter,

and for Kristine and Richard
and their five children.

There are always new lessons to be learned at each Habitat build. And the #1 lesson is that by faithfully building a home for a deserving family, we will help spread ...

Peace to all who enter here!

Print this post

2 comments:

  1. So many memories of all the wonderful dedicated workers we encountered over the years in our disaster projects De and I worked on. Keep working and learning.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful that I have such skilled teachers to learn from! Love mixing the volunteer work in with the fun of traveling ... although I am not sure that I like this Minnesota-like winter weather that we are having here in Fredericksburg, Texas. We are looking forward to another Habitat build here starting tomorrow. Thanks for your kind words and for following along!

      Delete